Help us to raise awareness of Dignity in Care
This July we’re talking all things Dignity in Care with our amazing service users and staff across the country! Dignity is a huge part of what we do at Creative Support and we’re excited to share more information about what it is and what it means to different people.
Dignity is defined as a human right that everyone deserves to be treated with. It is about respecting, listening, and helping people to enrich their lives without prejudice. Dignity in Care is all about this, but more specifically means the kind of care which supports and promotes a person’s self-respect no matter what. It is so important and necessary that the Government and the Social Care Institute of Excellence (SCIE) launched the ‘Dignity in Care’ campaign in 2006 to share information and awareness about its importance. They created ’10 Dignity Do’s’ to help explain exactly what dignity in care means and how to incorporate it into what we do:
- Have zero tolerance of all forms of abuse
- Support people with the same respect you would want for yourself or a member of your family
- Treat each person as an individual by offering a personalised service
- Enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice, and control
- Listen and support people to express their needs and wants
- Respect people’s right to privacy
- Ensure people feel able to complain without fear of retribution
- Engage with family members and carers as care partners
- Assist people to maintain confidence and positive self-esteem
- Act to alleviate people’s loneliness and isolation
These ten principles have been adopted across the sector and is so crucial that it is in Creative Support’s own mission statement- ‘opportunity, choice, and wellbeing’. We are proud to be Dignity Champions and to continue to raise awareness about this fantastic campaign and initiative.
We are looking for staff and service users to tell us about what dignity means to them and how our staff work to create dignified services. If you, or your service and service users, would like to get involved please email the Marketing Team firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more and you could be featured in our Dignity in Care Newsletter and on our Social Media pages.