Creative Support manages just over 1000 units of housing for tenants with learning disabilities and/or mental health needs. We work as managing agent for 35 Registered Social Landlords and we also manage some of our own high quality flats and houses.
We have a strong commitment to partnership working and hold regular meetings with our partner housing associations to develop positive working relationships and provide an efficient housing management service. We have a lot of experience in issuing tenancy agreements, managing voids and arrears and all other housing management functions. To do all this we have a Purchasing and Maintenance department and a Supported Housing Team based in our head office, with one Supported Housing Officer based in the South East.
Our Supported Housing team is made up of an internal Finance Auditor, a Direct Payment Support Officer, two housing administrators and seven highly trained Supported Housing Officers. Together, this dedicated and hard working team:
- Advises projects and tenants about welfare rights and benefits
- Gives basic debt advice and assistance to manage and reduce debt
- Acts as appointees for those tenants and service users unable to manage their money. We currently act as appointees for around 200 people
- Maintain and monitor rent accounts for projects managed by Creative Support.
- Gives advice on appropriate action for breaches of tenancy.
- Issues warning letters for tenants who breach their tenancies in our managed properties.
- Conducts tenancy reviews where there are problems with a tenancy.
- Issues notices and eviction proceedings in projects we manage. (Eviction is an absolute last resort after all other supportive measures have failed and is accompanied by a full right of appeal.)
- Liaises with our solicitor about difficult & complicated cases.
- Collects information about our new services and the tenants living there.
- Gives project staff advice on client finances.
- Audits finances and financial procedures in our housing projects.
- Trains staff on financial aspects, welfare rights, benefits and re-housing.
- Provides reports to our Executive Team about occupancy and arrears.
- Provides reports about our services to Supporting People.
- Supports our managers to perform well in the Supporting People Quality Assessment Framework and strategic reviews
- Provides reports about our services to Housing Associations.
Creative Support has made a pictorial tenancy agreement to support tenants with learning disabilities to understand their rights and responsibilities in a tenancy, and staff take time to explain the terms of the agreement with each individual. A DVD featuring some of our existing service users is also being made to explain tenancy agreements to new tenants.
Through the provision of good quality housing related support we help service users to be good tenants. The Supported Housing Team works closely with all projects to make sure that tenancies are well managed; that timely action is taken against tenants who break their tenancy agreements, whilst taking into account the needs and circumstances of each individual; that all service users are getting their full benefit entitlement and that their money is well managed. We encourage service users to manage their money with support, in a way that promotes their rights and choices and maximises their independence.
Click the link to download our latest Value For Money Assessment: Value For Money Assessment 2014